Friday, October 22, 2010

La La Land

I just wanted to point out some of the topics you can find right now on CNN.com.  I find it incredibly alarming to see the direction this world is headed in. 

Headlines (with typical American reaction):
  • Cholera kills 138 in 48 hours (oh my! Well, at least it isn't happening here!)
  • 400 trapped by rock slides in Taiwan (Whoa! I hope they have some video of it so I can see it!)
  • Opinion: NPR right to fire Juan Williams (Who cares?)
  • Lohan to stay in rehab until January (Poor girl, she is just trying to live the American Dream!)
  • Hurricane watch for Honduras (That sucks!)
  • Google TV blocked by big networks (What!  That is outrageous!  I'm calling my senator!)
  • Deadly disease to hit more of U.S. (What is this...oh..Diabetes..well, I will just go work out some more...and then I won't have to worry about it..at least for myself..those other people need to take better care of themselves!)
  • HP finally releases its 'iPad killer' (Awesome!  I'll be first in line at the store!)
  • Lisa Marie: Michael couldn't be saved (Tragedy!)
  • Gwyneth Paltrow's gone country? (What!  Well, I don't like her anymore!)
  • Yep, moon has water. (Cool...wonder when we will live there?!)
  • Cheerleader out after Facebook pic (That's retarded.)
Please understand that my 'reactions' are based on who I used to be..so I can legitimately say that I fell into the realm of normalcy, as I used to share those views with others.


What is most shocking to me is the mix of headlines: death, more death, things that no one really cares about, celeb gossip, possible death, things that impact the all important TV, certain death, impulse buying, more celeb gossip, science, and of course Facebook.  Do you think people in India care about what is happening to Lindsay Lohan?
 
Is it just me, or are we (The United States, and similar cultures) in La La Land?  Sure, we keep up with what is going on in the rest of the world, but do we really care?  When I was a kid, we would stay for the summer at my grandmother's house.  She always had the TV on, and mostly the news.  It used to scare me then, I can only imagine how kids feel now. 
 
I used to disagree that the TV had anything to do with kids becoming desensitized to violence...and now...I am positive that it IS the reason.  I have a 3 year old that gets glued to the TV no matter what is on.  He knows all about how to die, and how to kill someone.  Scary thought.
 
Our philosophy towards the world is 'it's all about me, and I really don't care what you are doing, as long as I am not effected.'  I have some sad news for you friends, you are being effected.  The more we turn a blind eye to those in need, the more we focus on ourselves, and pride sets in.
 
This brings me to my most important point.  We recently read the book of Obadiah in the Bible, of which I want to point out some verses.  Try inserting the U.S. in place of Edom....
 
 The Coming Judgment on Edom

1 The vision of Obadiah.
Thus says the Lord GOD concerning Edom
(We have heard a report from the LORD,
And a messenger has been sent among the nations, saying,
“ Arise, and let us rise up against her for battle”):
2 “ Behold, I will make you small among the nations;
You shall be greatly despised.
3 The pride of your heart has deceived you,
You who dwell in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation is high;
You who say in your heart, ‘Who will bring me down to the ground?’
4 Though you ascend as high as the eagle, and though you set your nest among the stars,
From there I will bring you down,” says the LORD.

7 All the men in your confederacy shall force you to the border;
The men at peace with you shall deceive you and prevail against you.
Those who eat your bread shall lay a trap for you.
No one is aware of it.

15 “ For the day of the LORD upon all the nations is near;
As you have done, it shall be done to you;
Your reprisal shall return upon your own head.
16 For as you drank on My holy mountain,
So shall all the nations drink continually;
Yes, they shall drink, and swallow,
And they shall be as though they had never been.

Are you scared yet?  Let me help you find some peace in an ever increasing world of death and destruction.  Simply put, and told by God through man:
 
Matthew 11:
Jesus Gives True Rest

25 At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. 26 Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. 27 All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him. 28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

***

No comments:

Post a Comment