Monday, September 6, 2010

Why do I keep going?

I was encouraged, and excited to see the response I would get from my last post.  I shared the link on Facebook, and waited.  I got a call on Saturday afternoon, from a friend I work with, telling me that he was sorry for what I was about to read.  I thanked him for what he had done already, and went to see what was there.  I wasn't surprised by the hatred and slander I found towards Christ, and myself.  Since I gave my life to God I have gotten many bad reactions to things I have written, and part of that is my fault for adding my own words, and not resting on what God has already provided for answering  to blasphemy...the Bible.

I needed reassurance that I was on the right path, and that I should continue praising God, openly.  As I was searching through the Concordance at the back of my Bible, I was led to Timothy.  The two books of Timothy are letters written to him from Paul.  Although most of both books are applicable in this situation, there were some verses that stood out.

1 Tim 4: "12 Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.  13 Till I (Paul) come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine."  "15 Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all.  16 Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine.  Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you."

I pondered the question of why people feel the need to voice their opinions when anyone talks about God and Christ.  Would the same thing happen if I talked about being Buddhist?  There are entire Internet pages dedicated to blaspheming God...but why? 

2 Tim 2: "23 Avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife. 24 and a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, 25 in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, 26 and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will."

Ahhh..as suspected, the devil will push back against what he is truly concerned over...believers in Christ.  I have to restrain myself from internal angers that arise when reading comments made about my Savior.  Thankfully, calling on the Lord gives me strength and patience.  There is one more passage that I find important on this topic:

2 Tim 3: "12 Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.  13 But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.  14 But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them.  16 all Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

You may call me a Bible-thumper...go ahead.  It's true, and I wouldn't change it.  I used to look at the Bible as a really large and boring book full of fables and stories.  Now when I read it, I am filled with insight on every day tasks and trials.  The book is meant for us to read as a way to teach us how to live, and be righteous in God's presence.  I am sad for those that can't open their eyes to Christ, as I know I will not see them in Heaven.  I don't want the credit for helping them to change their minds about God, I just want to know that they are saved.  I spend many nights worrying about my friends, and their families.  I love my Savior, and I want to share that..and I will. 

As the band, Casting Crowns, sings:

"I want to be your hands and feet

I want live a life that leads
To see you set the captives free
Until the whole world hears..
And I pray that they will see
More of you and less of me
Lord, I want my life to be
The song You sing" 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICxIWulmsDo

***

No comments:

Post a Comment