Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Do me a Favor...

It has been said that there are two ways to Heaven.

The first is by God examining your "works", or your deeds on Earth, be they good or bad. These laws by which you should live were given to Moses on Mount Sinai as a covenant between God and man. If you can follow and maintain these laws as your own, you will surely join God in Heaven. I have come up with an easy way to see if it is a possible option, and I'm going to use myself as an example:
_______________________________________________________
APPLICATION FOR ADMITANCE TO HEAVEN

**Be advised that all references will be checked in full, and this application should be carried with you at all times.**

Name: Kristy Mapp
Birth Year: 1980
Country of Origin: United States

Part I:

Please answer yes or no, and comment if necessary:

1. Have you ever worshiped anything above God?
Yes. Does my husband count?

2. Have you ever made an idol for worship?
No.

3. Have you ever used the Lord’s name in vein?

Yes.

4. Did you remember the Sabbath and keep it holy?

Not always..just recently.

5. Did you honor your father and mother?

Sometimes

6. Did you murder?

No.

7. Did you commit adultery?

No.

8. Did you steal?

Yes.

9. Did you bear false witness against your neighbor?

Yes.

10. Did you covet what your neighbor had?

Yes.

Part II:

 
Please list anything you would like to state before God.
Despite half of my answers going against what I was supposed to do, I did live a good life…well, at least after I turned 28. And most of that stuff happened before I was 16..so does it really count?

Part III:

Please list any references:

My husband, My mom, My boss
___________________________________________________

Wait a minute. Surely God will forgive my small indiscretions…right? Let’s see what God thinks about this:

“I, the LORD, have spoken; it is coming and I will act. I will not relent, and I will not pity and I will not be sorry; according to your ways and according to your deeds I will judge you," declares the Lord GOD.” Ezekiel 24:14

So, what he is saying is that even my small sins will count against me on judgment day? Thank goodness there is another way…

The Second way to Heaven is by accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior. The best way to show you, the viewer, is by giving you the text directly from the Bible, where John is quoting Jesus:

"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die." John 11:25,26

The basic premise of Jesus himself was to help save us from our sins so we would get a chance to come to Heaven. Not everyone will go of course. You not only have to believe in Jesus, but you have to ask him to be your Lord and Savior, and follow his teachings. God sent Jesus as a way out for all of us that have that horrible curse of being Human. Now, this is not to say that you may go and plunder and do evil things and think that you will still get to Heaven. That is simply not true. When you put your life in Jesus’ hands, you give your soul to Him (who is God), and you magically don’t want to do bad things anymore.

I want you to do me a favor, seeing that most people who read this believe in the same God, the one who created the Heavens and Earth, and the one who gave us His son, Jesus. Wait, maybe you don’t believe that. Maybe you just think about it every now and then, or maybe you only believe it on Christmas or Easter. Here is what I want you to do either way…

The next time you are really sad, say out loud, “God, please help me. Show me what you want from me.”

The next time you are really mad, say out loud, “God, please help me. Show me what you want from me.”

I suggest doing this every time you are feeling extremely upset, or your day has gone so horribly that you think you might just curl up and die.

The catch here is trying to actually mean what you are asking. The more times you say it, and the more emotion you put into it, the more likely you are to mean it. I can honestly say that when you have reached that place when you feel like no one cares, and no one will help you, Jesus will. Just be prepared to open up, and let Him flood over you (this is actually what it feels like).

I would like to end this entry with a quote from Jesus himself, for your ponderings:

"Therefore I say to you that you will die in your sins, for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins". John 8:24

***

1 comment:

  1. Very nicely written Kristy. Aren't you glad we have such a loving Savior? I know I'm thankful for his wonderful Atonement!

    ReplyDelete